Subject: Re: make install and stuff
To: NetBSD/hp300 port list <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Wes Brown <wes@prozac.eeap.cwru.edu>
List: port-hp300
Date: 04/10/1997 17:39:05
> On Wed, 9 Apr 1997 13:37:08 -0400 (EDT)
>  Wes Brown <wes@prozac.eeap.cwru.edu> wrote:
>  > Have you ever tried to do either of the following on a mostly empty
>  > directory structure:
>  >
>  > make DESTDIR=/mnt includes && make DESTDIR=/mnt install
>  >
>  > or
>  >
>  > DESTDIR=/mnt
>  > export DESTDIR
>  > make includes && make install
>
> ...don't forget:
>
> 	cd etc; make DESTDIR=/mnt distrib-dirs

Ok.  I have done
	cd /usr/src
 	cd etc; make DESTDIR=/mnt distrib-dirs ; cd ..
	DESTDIR=/mnt
	export DESTDIR
	make includes && make install

The install still dies in share/dict
install -c -o bin -g bin  -m 444 README /mnt/usr/share/README
install -c -o bin -g bin  -m 444 propernames /mnt/usr/share/propernames
install -c -o bin -g bin  -m 444 web2 /mnt/usr/share/web2
install -c -o bin -g bin  -m 444 web2a /mnt/usr/share/web2a
/mnt/usr/share/dict/words ->  /mnt/usr/share/dict/web2
ln: /mnt/usr/share/dict/web2: No such file or directory

Also, make DESTDIR=/mnt includes, puts all the .h files into the include
directory, but the make DESTDIR=/mnt install seems to put all the .h files
into the root directory in addition.

> All of the directories need to be in place before you try to put things
> there.  See the "build" target in the toplevel Makefile.
>
>  > I have completely made the "current" stuff from about 2 weeks ago shortly
>  > after we went m68k8k.  I have a general "root" file system that I pushed to
>  > the disk, but the file system that is mounted on /mnt/usr just has a newfs.
>  >
>  > Also, could someone provide a list of site specific files?  I have:
>  > myname
>  > mygate
>  > hostname.le0
>  > resolv.conf
>  > hosts
>
> Check out the "etc" set in src/distrib/sets... that contains the canonical
> list.

The list that I got from there was just fstab.[rs]d.

I am looking for files and file content format for systems so that the
system will be configured correctly.

>  > I am writing a perl script that will autoconfigure those files by asking a
>  > few questions.  (Yes, I have built perl and bash for the system.  I do not
>  > understand why it is not part of the system, but maybe it is because of
>  > room)
>
> 	- Bash - GP{L,V}

Does NetBSD not do GP*?

> 	- Perl - no one has done the work to integrate it.  Several
> 	  of us (folks w/ NetBSD commit access) have discussed
> 	  integrating perl for some time
>
> Jason R. Thorpe                                       thorpej@nas.nasa.gov
> NASA Ames Research Center                               Home: 408.866.1912
> NAS: M/S 258-6                                          Work: 415.604.0935
> Moffett Field, CA 94035                                Pager: 415.428.6939

Thanks for your help.

Wes
---
Wes Brown