Subject: Re: Web Browsers
To: Nathan Gelbard <gelbard@engr.orst.edu>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 03/12/1997 00:52:54
On Tue, 11 Mar 1997 23:30:18 -0800
 Nathan Gelbard <gelbard@ENGR.ORST.EDU> wrote:

 > I've got X up and running, and openwin mostly working (tis dumping core
 > a lot, but I'll worry about that later).

openwin itself?  Or the X server?  (Ugh, I hate the hp300 X server; I
really wish I had the time to do the framebuffer/X server work I want
to do...)

 > I found Mosaic and Chimera for X. Both work OK, but I like neither
 > because of the fact that they dont do the cool things Netscape does ;)

...have you tried w3 under xemacs?  :-)

 > I dont want plugins per say, just frames, tables, lists, tiled graphic
 > backgrounds, etc.

...hmm, I thought that the Very Latest Mosaic had a lot of this stuff,
but then again, I hear that the Mosaic group at UIUC is basically dead,
so...

 > What is the possibility of using Netscape-3.01-HPUX? I was hoping
 > to do a lot of web development on this HP (21" screen, etc), but
 > if I dont have a web brower that supports all the cool HTML 3.0
 > stuff, i'm sort of stuck.

...Netscape 3.01 HP-UX is an hp700 executable, and will not run on
m68ks.

 > Is there anyway to convince Netscape Corp to compile a hp300/netbsd version?
 > they already have a BSD version (386) and a Mac version (680xx),
 > so I figure they could sorta slap em together :)

...well, the BSD version is for BSD/OS, and the Mac 68k version is for
MacOS :-)

I'm not sure of the possibility of getting a native NetBSD/hp300
executable, but I may ping some Netscape folks I know just to see
if something could be done about this...