Subject: Re: boot bios?
To: Nathan Gelbard <gelbard@engr.orst.edu>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 02/26/1997 02:10:47
On Tue, 25 Feb 1997 15:52:41 -0800
 Nathan Gelbard <gelbard@ENGR.ORST.EDU> wrote:

 > Greetings,
 >         I've got a HP300 w/ BOOT ROM v2.0. I've been reading a few docs
 > on HPs,
 > and they talk about getting into the boot bios. How is this done? The
 > install doc
 > says to hit spacebar a few times while during the self check process, but it
 > does nothing on mine.

Well... the "boot bios" is not an hp300 thing.. What model hp300 do you
have, exactly?  Some had a "Configuration EEPROM", but most don't.  The
documents you were reading may have been describing another HP system?

The hp300 BOOT ROM is mostly non-configurable, and not really all that
helpful, except for loading the boot block.  (Grumble!  Even after
they swallowed Apollo, you had to go into Domain mode to use the
disassembler!  :-)

Hitting the spacebar will cause the hp300 to not auto-load the boot block.
Instead, it will search for boot blocks on as many devices as it can find,
including the network, and give you a choice of which one to run.

During the boot block search, a Configuration EEPROM system will allow you
to type:

	C <ret>

...to get into the configuration section.  This is limited to 345, 375,
380, 400, 425, and 433 models.

What is it that you were needing to do, exactly?

Ciao.