Subject: Re: Network Woes
To: Nathan Gelbard <gelbard@engr.orst.edu>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 02/26/1997 01:26:01
On Tue, 25 Feb 1997 22:05:41 -0800
 Nathan Gelbard <gelbard@ENGR.ORST.EDU> wrote:

 > I am running NetBSd 1.1 on an hp380 32ram.
 >
 > I finally got it up and running on the network, but am getting an error
 > once in a while:
 >
 > le0: FRAM
 > le0: CRC
 >
 > le0 is my built in ethernet port. What could be causing this? I'm going to be
 > moving to 1.2 RSN, but the 1.1 box is my base for getting up and running.

Those are perfectly normal diagnostic messages... what they mean is:

	Umm, some host on the network is transmitting ethernet
	frames that look like garbage.  Thought I'd let you know.

There's nothing wrong with the HP.  I used to see quite a lot of these
in the 1.0 days when I had a 433 plugged into the same wire as an aging
Sequent Balance.  Not long after, the Balance's SCED croaked.

FWIW, these diagnostic messages were found to be annoying by a large
enough number of people that we conditionalized them on #ifdef LEDEBUG
in a later version of the driver.

Ciao.