Subject: Re: A wake?
To: David Brownlee <david@mono.org>
From: Joseph Sarkes <joe@highway1.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 02/17/1997 09:08:52
David Brownlee wrote:

>         Have you compiled & installed a new copy of 'config'?
>

> On Sun, 16 Feb 1997, Joseph Sarkes wrote:
>
> > I have downloaded the latest NetBSD-current and find
> > that there is a n error when trying to configure a kernel.
> >
> > config GENERIC
> > ../../../../config/files:7: syntax error
> >
> > what am I doing wrong?
> > is NetBSD-current in an unstable state right now?
> > I just downloaded the tar_files on feb 14, 1997.

Thankyou David.
That was indeed the case. After poking at it for the whole day,
with no result (compiling the current kernel), I installed the
whole system. After a couple of iterations of errors, mostly due
to missing/out of date include files, I found a Makefile in the
ftp src directory that the tar_files did not include. The overall
Makefile for the source tree automatically installs the includes,
and a few other things. 1.2B config does not work, you have to
use 1.2C conifig for the kernel now. I managed to get a full make
done on the sources and then installed the results. My machine crashed
during make install. Hopefully it was a glitch due to a file in
use by the system being updated. I am doing a new make build right
now in case something got missed. I have been a happy user of
1.1 on the system I'm installing 1.2C on, and hope to not run into too
many problems updating. Has the scsi code changed now?. I have a
scsi cdrom I could not get to work under 1.2B. Perhaps I don't have
the right instructions. I did however get my 425 to boot off of a
scsi zip drive. 100 Meg holds the system, but the only way I could
get a disklabel on it was the standalone install program over the
network from another machine. The normal disklabel program is
too "smart" to allow me to do it for some reason. I had thought
that was fixed from reading this mailling list in the past.
My thanks go to Jason Thorpe, whose name appears all over the
place on the hp300 port, and I'm sure that there are MANY others
who also contribute that I just haven't noticed.
/usr/src. I ftped that over also and it was a major clue.

--
Joseph Sarkes              mailto:joe@highway1.com
29 Topsfield Road          http://js.ne.highway1.com