Subject: HP-IB implementation
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Benjamin Floering <floering@b64198.student.cwru.edu>
List: port-hp300
Date: 02/12/1997 00:38:20
According to Mike Hibler:
>Unless the HP-IB support has changed from 4.4, it probably won't work very
>well for instrument control.  The HP-IB drivers in BSD were intended to
>support the CS/80 disks, though it was also sufficient to use with an HP-IB
>interface plotter.  I don't think the drivers support the full IEEE488
>"command set" (if that is the appropriate phrase, I don't know much about
>this) and there is no user interface to speak of.

I am working with Wes Brown here at CASE, and we are willing to work on
this problem because we have instrumentation we would like to control
with netBSD.  We are willing to update or even re-write the current
drivers as they exist to implement the full IEEE-488.1 spec.  We would
also like to make it as similar to HP-UX's implementation as to facilitate
the porting of existing code to control instrumentation.  I also
noticed that on the "TODO" there was an issue of speed with the drivers
perhaps?  Could anyone tell us what needs to be done exactly, or maybe
point us in the right direction to get this information?

Thanks in advance,

--
Benjamin E. Floering                   Case Western Reserve University
bef3@po.cwru.edu                       floering@b64198.cwru.edu