Subject: Re: README: new config!
To: Klaus Klein <kleink@layla.inka.de>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 01/30/1997 09:40:40
On Thu, 30 Jan 1997 18:19:24 +0100
 Klaus Klein <kleink@layla.inka.de> wrote:

 > On Thu, 30 Jan 1997 08:20:53 -0800,
 >  Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov> wrote:
 >
 > [*Ouch* - that wasn't much sleep, indeed]

No, not much at all ... Amnon Barak (who did MOSIX) is giving a
talk about MOSIX at work today... So, I needed to make sure I was
up in time to be here for it :-)

 > As Chris' wscons code is in progress, do you intend switching the
 > hp300 over to use this (just guessing that the port-in-progress
 > planning to use it was the hp700) ? That would make some alignment
 > work I recently started to sync our ite with the amiga/atari/x68k's
 > pointless; I'd just complete the loadkmap stuff, then. :-)

I do intend on switching to wscons eventually, yes.  There are a couple
of major reasons for this:

	- A sane framebuffer abstraction, and keyboard and mouse
	  interface.  This is a win for X servers.

	- Flexible enough to support different keyboard types
	  (such as Domain keyboards).

	- New wscons will deal with multiple keyboards and framebuffers
	  in sane way.

	- Eventually, wscons will be an MI subsystem.

The port-in-progress which intends to use it is the NeXT port (I don't
feel bad about mentioning it, because the person doing it has
submitted bug reports that say "while doing a NeXT port" :-)

I gather the hp700 port-in-progress (yes, someone is working on it)
will use it to.  Eventually, I'd like to see _all_ NetBSD ports using
it.

Ciao.