Subject: Re: SCSI
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@Plexus.COM>
List: port-hp300
Date: 01/23/1997 12:27:21
On Wed, 22 Jan 1997, Jason Thorpe wrote:

>On Tue, 21 Jan 1997 11:03:20 +0100 (CET)
> "Elmar Kolkman" <kolkmae@la1.apd.dec.com> wrote:
>
> > It detects some of my hardware, until it detects the SCSI controller.
> > Then it hangs.
>
> 	- "Hangs"?  Yow, I've never seen _that_ problem before.  I
> 	  guess it's having problems dealing with that tape drive.
> 	  Some older tapes may ... have problems.  Can you please try
> 	  unplugging some of the SCSI devices, starting with the tape?

I see this -- though rarely -- when there is a termination problem.  My
suggestion would be to strip as many SCSI devices off of the chain as is
practical (i.e. keep only enough to boot the kernel).  Also, don't leave
any SCSI devices in the chain that aren't powered up.

Just making sure that some of the `obvious' bases are covered. :-)

--scott