Subject: Re: SCSI
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Elmar Kolkman <kolkmae@la1.apd.dec.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 01/21/1997 11:03:20
You all wrote:
> > There are probably a couple of problems which are factors, here:
> >
> > 	- The hp300 SCSI driver works, but isn't really all that
> > 	  great.
> >
> > 	- Quantum disks, in my experience, are not exactly the
> > 	  paragon of stability.
> >
> > The Quantum disks are probably behaving somewhat erratically in
> > fuzzy termination situations, causing the less-than-perfect hp300
> > SCSI driver to lose.

Hm. This may be my problem too.
I've got a 370 and am trying to boot it with NetBSD.
I booted from a ICL 525Mb tapedrive (it said it is a WANGTEK 525 SCSI if I'm
not mistaking). Works great. OK, I've to get the miniroot by NFS from a LINUX
machine, but I don't mind. This all seems to work. Untill.... I boot.
It detects some of my hardware, until it detects the SCSI controller. Then it
hangs. And because I don't have any HP-IB drives (the one I got along with
the machine gave servo-faults), this is a bit anoying. I cann't do anything
about it. Or I could try to netboot it of course, but then I have to find the
Linux-rbootd (where is it ? Shouldn't it be on ftp.netbsd.org ?)

Now I've seen that Jason fixed some bugs in the SCSI code. If those would fix
my hangup too, I would like it very much, if there would be a pre-release in
the -current tree with this new SCSI-driver.

Any other info/possibilities/solutions are welcome too, of course.

> I can not use and Archive 2525 QIC connected to the external connector,
> but it works fine on the internal connector (for instance).
>
> This is less of a problem when you realize you can't install off of SCSI
> tape anyway.  8-|.

It worked for me, as long as I have a NFS server for some of the other data,
miniroot for instance.

> 					Terry Lambert
> 					terry@lambert.org

	Elmar

P.S.: My machine is at home and isn't connected to the net (yet), but if
      someone is interested, I can log the booting process and E-mail it.
--
Alp =	1) One of a number of ski mountains in Europe
	2) A shouted request for assistance made by a European skier in

This mail was brought to you by:

		Elmar Kolkman.

He can be reached as 'kolkmae@apd.dec.com' or 'elmar@usn.nl'