Subject: Re: not booting
To: Stefan Schaeckeler <schaecsn@trick.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de>
From: David Carrel <carrel@cisco.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 01/10/1997 08:11:24
> sometimes ( say 30%) the bootprocess stucks after these messages:
> >> NetBSD BOOT HP9000/360 CPU
> >> pboot.c,v 1.10 1995/ 10/4 07:24:31 thorpej Exp $
> >> Enter "reset" to reset the system
> Boot [[[rd8a:]/netbsd [-s][-a][-d]] :-
> 773000+38992+1333104+[45972+48287] total 0xff0ff07b start=0xff0019ee

I used to see this if I pressed any keys during the boot.  Like if I hit
two carriage returns at the boot prompt.  But it hasn't happened to me in a
very long time.  Not sure if my fingers have become better trained or
something was changed in the source.  I do know the problem of receiving
characters on the serial port during bootup was fixed long ago.

> (hmm, the onliest thing that is damaged is my real time clock:
> it works only when the computer is on, if I switch the computer on
> I get a WARNING: bad date in bettery clock (maybe the battery is empty
> or stolen or ...) and from now on it works - but I don`t think that
> is the reason (this happens every time, my boot-problems sometimes ...))

Pull the battery and go to any 5-and-dime and get a new one.  It's really
easy.  I've done this to my 380 and my 340's.  The new batteries don't seem
to last as long as the originals did.  But for a couple of bucks, who cares.

Dave