Subject: Re: SCSI
To: Andreas Brusinsky <brusinsk@ibdr.inf.tu-dresden.de>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 01/08/1997 22:51:34
On Thu, 9 Jan 1997 02:21:42 +0100 (MET)
 Andreas Brusinsky <brusinsk@ibdr.inf.tu-dresden.de> wrote:

 > I stated allready that SCSI termination erros should occur just if the
 > cable is very long.
 >
 > Why does a 400 Mhz alpha workstation accept my Quantum PD425 and a hp300
 > with a NetBSD on it not.
 > Can I make NetBSD more fault tolerant?
 > Is it the HP controller or the driver for the controller who makes me mad?
 > What would be the performance loss if I would use a more fault tolerant one?

There are probably a couple of problems which are factors, here:

	- The hp300 SCSI driver works, but isn't really all that
	  great.

	- Quantum disks, in my experience, are not exactly the
	  paragon of stability.

The Quantum disks are probably behaving somewhat erratically in
fuzzy termination situations, causing the less-than-perfect hp300
SCSI driver to lose.

As for making it more fault-tolerant, "you can rewrite the SCSI driver" :-)
I've been wanting to do this for quite some time.  But, alas, I simply
haven't had the chance, yet.

(BTW, this lossage is probably well-contained in the hp300 port...)