Subject: Re: BootROM for a 380
To: Wiker, Raymond <etorwi@eto.ericsson.se>
From: Zadok <ml@rz.uni-potsdam.de>
List: port-hp300
Date: 01/04/1997 12:47:22
On Fri, 3 Jan 1997, Wiker, Raymond wrote:

> 	What exactly must be done to upgrade a 345? Is it sufficient
> to change bootroms and replacing the 68030 card with a 68040 chip?

as far as I know you have to replace the daughterboard with the
68030/68882 on it with a real 68040, replace the BootROM ( it refuses to
work on a processor it isn't intended for, at least a 380 ROM doesn't work
on a 68030 ) and eventually you have to replace the quartz thar produces
the processor clock, a 50MHz one should be n a 345, if you want to use a
25MHz 68040 leave it where it is, but you need a 66MHz quartz for a 33MHz
040 and I don't know what hapens if you use a 40MHz 040 and a 80MHz
quartz... then there should be a jumper next to the memory banks saying
25/33MHz, the 33MHz position simply adds a wait state to every memory
access cycle. use if your memory doesn't work with a faster clock than
25MHz.

errm, and of course you will have to make a new kernel which supports the
new CPU :-)

bye
Michael