Subject: Re: lab equipment connected on HP-IB
To: None <mika@cs.caltech.edu, mikef@rtfm.sr.hp.com>
From: Mike Hibler <mike@fast.cs.utah.edu>
List: port-hp300
Date: 12/11/1996 11:48:18
According to Mika Nystroem:
> Random question for anyone who might know:
> Is there enough support in NetBSD/hp300 to make connecting a bunch of
> HP-IB/IEEE488 lab equipment and using it relatively painless?  How
> much driver code, etc., might I have to write?  I'm putting together
> a lab of new equipment and would rather avoid having any MS-DOGs
> in there and just happen to have two 425t's lying around...
>
>    Mika
>
> P.S. Has XhpBSD been fixed any since the last time I tried it? (About
> six months ago...it was pretty unusable at the time :( )

Unless the HP-IB support has changed from 4.4, it probably won't work very
well for instrument control.  The HP-IB drivers in BSD were intended to
support the CS/80 disks, though it was also sufficient to use with an HP-IB
interface plotter.  I don't think the drivers support the full IEEE488
"command set" (if that is the appropriate phrase, I don't know much about
this) and there is no user interface to speak of.