Subject: Re: Status of SCSI SYS_INST?
To: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
From: Mike Ferrara <mikef@rtfm.sr.hp.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 12/09/1996 14:09:12
According to Greg Oster:
> thorpej@nas.nasa.gov writes:
> > On Mon, 9 Dec 1996 10:47:11 -0700 (MST)
> >  Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org> wrote:
> >
> >  > Is there any status on the SCSI SYS_INST?
> >
> > First, lets clarify...
> >
> > There is no such thing as the "SCSI SYS_INST".  SYS_INST is a single
> > program with both SCSI and HP-IB disk drivers.  It uses the same
> > SCSI disk driver as the boot program, SYS_UBOOT.
> [snippage]
>
> Apologies for not thinking of this sooner, but it just occured to me that the
> problems booting with SYS_INST may have been the same as I was experiencing
> in July of last year (1995).
>
> Try compiling SYS_INST with "-DSLOWSCSI" (yes, I'm aware that some of you
> don't have your HP boxes booting yet, much less compiling.  See below.).
> That's what let me get some of our 340's running from SCSI disks...  That
> option apparently lets "slow drives" work with "fast machines" (for some
> defn's of "slow" and "fast").

I'm not sure about the rest of the guys here, but _my_ problem is not
that SYS_INST won't boot, but that disklabel that comes in SYS_INST
can't find any of my scsi disks.

BTW ... BSD4.4 from berkeley shipped with an hp300 dd that included the
disklabel, etc. I got one of those to boot, but it fails in another wierd
way. I'll be spending more time with that, though before I give a final
determination.

--

  Mike Ferrara M/S 4USS
  HP Microwave Instruments Div R&D

PGP Key Fingerprint = EC F3 52 79 9C 00 0F 78  00 38 28 CC 72 3C 2D 1C