Subject: Re: Installation via Network
To: Rainer Kopietz <rainer@hathor.free.de>
From: Mike Ferrara <mikef@rtfm.sr.hp.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 12/04/1996 10:09:06
According to Rainer Kopietz:
> Hello,
>  I hope this is the right place to ask following questions. I tried to post
> them to comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.misc but our Provider isn't able to deliver
> usenet news in the moment :(
>
>  I tried to install NetBSD on a hp-Apollo 425e via network using the FreeBSD's
> rbootd. The hp told me that it has the BOOTROM REV. 3.0. I am very confused
> about this because I read in the installation manual that a network install
> requires bootrom rev. C or later. Now I'm wondering if my revision is an older
> or a newer one. Do you know how the revisons are counted?

My *guess* is that a 425e should net boot regardless of bootrom revision.
Those boxes came quite a while after HPUX diskless was introduced, which
is roughly when net booting was introduced in the bootroms (for the
obvious reasons).

A net-boot attempt is really obvious if you can run tcpdump on the net.
(Like maybe on your intended net-boot server).

--

  Mike Ferrara M/S 4USS
  HP Microwave Instruments Div R&D

PGP Key Fingerprint = EC F3 52 79 9C 00 0F 78  00 38 28 CC 72 3C 2D 1C