Subject: Re: Installing on hp..
To: None <nivoit_jea@lsi.supelec.fr>
From: None <david@mono.org>
List: port-hp300
Date: 11/04/1996 19:08:19
	I'm sure someone who knows better than I will correct me if I
	make any mistakes, but given I'm in my email I thiought I'd
	put in my oar :)

On Mon, 4 Nov 1996 nivoit_jea@lsi.supelec.fr wrote:

> What do you mean by 'install from HP-UX' ? Is this an installation from another
> HP machine running HP-UX?

	Use HP-UX to copy the NetBSD 1.0 SYS_INST to another disk on the
	same machine, install NetBSD-1.0 & then install 1.2. (NetBSD 1.0
	seems to install better this way than 1.2)

> Anyway, I have to boot on tape, since I don't any other machine at hand that can
> run the rbootd... Moreover , yesterday, I trashed my disk when issuing the 'dd
> if=SYS_INST of=/dev/ct/3s0' ... looks like I did it on the wrong device, and I
> have SYS_INST in the boot menu for my HP-UX boot disk, and it says 'system would
> load too high'... so I can't boot anymore: I'll install HP-UX from tape this
> evening (or at least try...), so that I can have access to the tape again, to
> write SYS_INST again.
>
>  As Terry Lambert suggested, the SYS_INST of NetBSD-1.2 might be unusable, so I
> think my only chance is to try with 1.1, but I have to install HP-UX first in
> order to be able to write it on the tape.
>
> Another question : isn't there any machine that can run rbootd through the
> network for me so that I can install without having to put HP-UX first? or is
> the network boot working only on the ethernet in the same network ?
>
> Would the network boot work on an i386 NetBSD machine ? as a last resort, I
> could try it this way...

	You should be able to network boot from any stock NetBSD
	1.2 machine (in some cases even earlier). a NetBSD/i386 machine
	should be fine. You _should_ be able to use other unix machines
	as well, but a NetBSD is liable to be easier.

		David/abs	david@{mono.org,southern.com,mhm-internet.com}

System Manager: Southern Studios Ltd, PO Box 59, London N22 1AR.
Satisfied User: NetBSD, free Un*x {i386,sparc,mac68k,+more} 'www.netbsd.org'.
  System Admin: MHM Internet, 14 Barley Mow Passage, Chiswick, London W4 4PH.
         SysOP: Monochrome, Largest UK Internet BBS - 'telnet mono.org'.