Subject: Re: How I got multi-headed X to work on my 370
To: Michael Wolfson <mw34@cornell.edu>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: port-hp300
Date: 10/15/1996 07:57:53
Michael Wolfson <mw34@cornell.edu>  wrote:
 > It's simple, easy, and fun! Just follow these simple directions and you too
 > can have a second monitor on your workstation.

Unless you're me...

I've followed all the steps... Even had it working for a little while... When
it was working, I'd often have to start X several times to get it to work
right...  Now I can't get it to for me ever... no matter how many times I
restart X.

I have a 433s with 52mb of ram and 2 catseye display cards.  I've got dave's
X binaries. etc etc etc...

What happens is that the second display comes up ok for the most part.. ie:
all the windows appear with the right colors and size... But any of the
pixmaps that are drawn are completely buggered.  The mouse cursor is just a
black box when I move it to the second display.  None of the text shows up
properly. It gets mapped onto the display with 8 pixels of space between
each pixel forming the text item (so, you can sort of faintly make out the
text if you do a mental connect-the-dots)...

What's even weirder is that if I do an 'xwd' and 'xwud', the output of that
is completely different from what's actually on the monitor... it's actually
more like a mosaic of everything that was on that monitor duplicated many
times over and overlapping... etc...

Anyway, Jason has physically stood in front of my machine and seen it himself
so he can attest that I'm not on drugs as has been suggested (HI DAVE!).
Neither of us has any idea what's wrong. It looks to me like some sort of
weird mapping problem but I have O(0) familiarity with the workings of X
so it could be almost anything...

This is just a note to let everyone know that their mileage may
vary should they try this out...  Is there perhaps a difference in
how the DIO-II bus is mapped on the 4xx's versus the 3xx's? Or is
there some other teency architectural difference that might cause
this? I haven't had the time or energy to get the X source and
whack on this myself...

It'd be really hip if someone else did though. :)