Subject: Re: Just what is going on here
To: None <Fletch2@ibm.net, port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Vince Vielhaber <vevielhaber@chrysler.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 09/16/1996 14:14:23
On 16 Sep 96 at 19:38, Fletcher Christian wrote:

> About the HP tapes. Does anyone know what the story is?? Are the mechanisms
> the same as standard QIC02 1/4" drives (ie are they only formated diferently) or
> are ther actual hardware differences? Does anyone know if it's possible to format
> standard 1/4" cartridges to allow them to work in place of the rare HP ones?

The HP tapes for the 9144 and 9145 have a special HP format, you have to
buy them pre-formatted.  The drive itself is supposedly incapable of
performing the formatting task.  Perhaps someone else on the list has
the actual format info - my book seems to have disappeared, again!!
But the 9144 is a 16 track and the 9145 is 32 track.  The 9145 *will*
read a tape from a 9144 but not vice versa.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber    EMC Department    vevielhaber@chrysler.com