Subject: Re: Boot ROM for 68030...
To: Kyle A.D. Mestery <kamester@gloria.cord.edu>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: port-hp300
Date: 09/14/1996 01:13:15
"Kyle A.D. Mestery" <kamester@gloria.cord.edu>  wrote:
 > Hi everyone.  After Herb gave me the boot ROM file for a REV C boot ROM,
 > I had it burned onto my boot rom for my 68030 based Apollo, and put it
 > in, and turned it on. Now it says that I need a 68040 microprocessor. Is
 > this true? Does anyone have a boot ROM file that would work with my
 > 68030?? Any help is as always appreciated! Thanks!

You mean you toasted *over your old bootrom*?!?  You win the "El Grande
Cojones" award for the week...

When I wrote:

 > > the packaging) part.  However, when I upgraded my 400s, the part I
 > > used was a 40pin dip 2MB part. (27c022 I think)... I have here
 > > somewhere a file of S-records for that part that I saved "just in
 > > case" I ever needed it. I believe someone has already taken the
 > > Srecords and toasted a PROM of their own to upgrade their 400.

I guess I may not have been perfectly clear that I was upgrading my 400s
to something else...  I thought you were trying to upgrade your machine. I
didn't know you were just working on netboot which your old bootrom
should have done.  In any event, the filename you retrieved via FTP
was:

-rw-r--r--    1 hpeyerl  user      226275 May 23 16:30 hp425-prom.gz

which I guess might have told you what the rom was for.

In any event, you now either need to get your old rom back (sorry, I
don't have any 400 (030) rom images) or you need to find an 040
and a 50Mhz crystal...