Subject: What ROM version?
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Onat Ahmet <onat@ohv.kuee.kyoto-u.ac.jp>
List: port-hp300
Date: 09/04/1996 11:36:36
Hi;

I have a HP340, and want to install the new distribution of
NetBSD. In the "INSTALL" file of the new distribution, it is
written that the boot ROM must be REV. C or better to be able
to load miniroot from the net.

OK, so I takes it apart to the bare bones (otherwise cannot see
the stickers on the ROM), and looks for the boot ROM. The stickers
on the two EPROMs say:

1818-4796        1818-4797
4-24-92          5-21-92
  W6               W6

So, most probably, these are for the upper and lower 8 bits, but
why are the dates so different? One burned in April, the other
in May! This computer comes from a dark source (no no not stolen :)
so might it have received a different application specific ROM?
(AHA! does it print revision info at boot time?!)

Nothing really happens if I press space at boot time either.
(not connected to network)

The current operating system is BASIC. I want to get rid
of that and start from a blank 170MB SCSI disk. (connected to
main box by HPIB)

What am I missing here? (hopefuly it is not something stupid!)

Any help/ideas/info/pointers appreciated! (Please feel free
to rub my face in the dust if the questions are too trivial :)
Thanks.

PS: There is a DIP switch at the back saying "configuration";
does anyone know what it is for? It has four switches on it.

| Ahmet ONAT  Kyoto Univ. Japan                                 |
| E-mail    : onat@kuee.kyoto-u.ac.jp                           |
| WWW page  : http://turbine.kuee.kyoto-u.ac.jp/staff/onat.html |
|             My 6 leg walker, RC airplanes & more in home page |