Subject: Re: serial port question
To: Tony Povoas <tony@cs.strath.ac.uk>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 06/28/1996 10:31:35
On Fri, 28 Jun 1996 14:57:50 +0100
 Tony Povoas <tony@cs.strath.ac.uk> wrote:

 > I've recently acquired an hp400 which I'm successfully running the NetBSD hp300
 > port on, with X etc enabled.

Cool!

 > Can someone please let me know which device should correspond to my serial port.
 > I've tried /dev/tty00 and /dev/tty0 with no success.

For the "dca" (16550-style ports), it's tty0, tty1, etc.  For "dcm" (the
4- or 8-port MUX boards), it's tty00-tty03 (dcm0, ports 0-3),
tty04-tty07, etc.

 > On boot dmesg reports dca0 as being found. In  MAKEDEV this is referred to
 > as being the serial port interface from which the mknod call for /dev/tty0 is
 > issued.

That's correct...

 > However when attempting to communicate with /dev/tty0 using kermit and pppd I
 > get no response. I know the modem and serial line are OK as I've tested them
 > elsewhere. Am I using the correct tty name ( tty0 ) for the serial port?

Define "no response".  Does the machine hang, or just that process?
Which NetBSD version are you running?  I've changed the serial drivers
since 1.1 ... the new ones can sets flags correctly.  Else, before, the
process had to be careful to open with non-blocking I/O, else it would
wedge waiting for carrier to appear (which is sort of annoying...)

When using kermit, after the "set line /dev/tty0" command, it will
probably just sit there ... hit ^C.  You should then be able to set other
paramters... Then "connect", and turn on the device in question (my
Alpha's console is attachted to my dca0 right now ... my mvme147 used to
be...) If the device is a modem ... well... :-/

You might also consider upgrading to a recent 1.2_BETA snapshot ... I've
made one, and have uploaded it to ftp.NetBSD.ORG ... but I haven't had a
chance to verify file integrity, yet.  Since I'm on vacation, I probably
won't get a chance to do that until Tuesday.  However there is a
1.2_ALPHA snapshot available on:

	ftp://ftp.NetBSD/ORG/pub/NetBSD/arch/hp300/snapshot/960610/

Let us know how it goes!

 -- save the ancient forests - http://www.bayarea.net/~thorpej/forest/ --