Subject: Re: HP-IB drives forgetting partition table
To: Wes Brown <wes@prozac.student.cwru.edu>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 06/07/1996 15:15:48
On Fri, 7 Jun 1996 17:21:04 -0400 (EDT)
 Wes Brown <wes@prozac.student.cwru.edu> wrote:

 > Is there some trick with the partition tables?  I will "disklabel" a
 > hp7958B with what I think is the correct information, but then after I
 > write the information and reboot, the drive has forgotten.

Sounds like the in-core copy is getting update, but you're not actually
writing it to the disk.

Exactly what is failing?  SYS_INST?  Or, disklabel(8) from the shell?
What is the _exact_ command you're typing?

 > Do I have almost 2 GB of junk sitting on the desk or is there a way to get
 > HP-IB drives to really work?  Do the partitions need to have a "wrapping
 > partition"

I use HP-IB disks all the time...they work fine.  No "wrapping partition"
needed.

 > All I want to do is get the first ~6MB allocated for inst-11.fs, an area
 > for swap and then the rest of the disk for what ever else.  This will not
 > be the final configuration.  I just want to get something working.

Ok, can you please explain the _exact_ procedure you're following to do
this?  Are you booting from the network?

----save the ancient forests - http://www.bayarea.net/~thorpej/forest/----