Subject: Re: binary X distribution for NetBSD/hp300 wanted
To: Jim Mercer <jim@reptiles.org>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 05/14/1996 10:22:01
On Tue, 14 May 1996 10:50:16 -0400 (EDT)
 jim@reptiles.org (Jim Mercer) wrote:

 > yeah, that's about what happened here, 3 units with 21" sony colors,
 > a couple disk cabinets (MFM) and some graphics tables.
 >
 > got it for hte sum of $7 (gas money for the guy with the truck).

*jealous*

 > mucho gratius.
 >
 > has anyone put together a netboot Xkernel configuration?
 > if not, that's what i'm planning on doing, except it'll probably take several
 > days to do the X compile.  8^(

Well, NetBSD/hp300 does understand netboot, and I can see value in having
a pre-packaged hp300 "Xkernel" package (though, really, it won't be an X
kernel, but rather just a special init(8) (shell script), and make the
swapfile 0 bytes (or, if you're low on memory, go ahead and provide some
swap space...)

On a related note, I'm looking for someone to, in an official capacity,
maintain X11 for the hp300 ... if you're interested, please contact me
via private e-mail.  In particular, I'm trying to find someone who can
act as a clearing house for XhpBSD knowledge, and do the grunt work of
building binaries (R6 clients, R5 server, for now), maintaining patches,
and do the work on ftp.NetBSD.ORG.  I know I'm the port-master, but to be
quite honest, I don't have the time to dedicate to hacking on X11, so I
need a little help.

Thanks!

----save the ancient forests - http://www.bayarea.net/~thorpej/forest/----