Subject: Re: help
To: Bartholomew Niswonger <bniswong@midway.uchicago.edu>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 03/27/1996 16:10:41
On Wed, 27 Mar 96 15:42:54 CST
 Bartholomew Niswonger <bniswong@midway.uchicago.edu> wrote:

 > stray interrupt, sr 0x2500
 >
 > I get about 30 of them whenever I try to boot my hp9k/340 from the
 > miniroot, and the kernel then panics.
 > I posted about this about 2 weeks ago with no response, please,
 > someone tell me what is going on!

Someone did reply ... I remember reading it.  Try turning software flow
control on the terminal off ...

BTW, I'm pretty sure I know the reason that XON/XOFF loses during boot on
the hp300, but I'm not sure exactly how to fix it at the moment...

Basically, as sickening as it may sound, the hp300 does autoconfiguration
with interrupts enabled (i.e. at spl0).  I could change that pretty
easily, by changing the following snippet of code in locore.s:

/* final setup for C code */
        jbsr    _isrinit                | be ready for stray ints
        movw    #PSL_LOWIPL,sr          | lower SPL
        movl    d7,_boothowto           | save reboot flags
        movl    d6,_bootdev             |   and boot device

I would simply take out the "lower SPL", and then do a:

	(void)spl0();

at the end of configure().

Probably lowering it to (PSL_S | PSL_IPL5) would suffice ... but really,
interrupts should be off...Note the following when control is transfered
to the kernel:

start:
        movw    #PSL_HIGHIPL,sr         | no interrupts
        RELOC(tmpstk, a0)
        movl    a0,sp                   | give ourselves a temporary stack
        RELOC(_esym, a0)

However, this would break the HIL driver...the HIL currently relies on
interrupts being available during boot to be able to reconfigure it self
and probe for HIL devices.  I don't have any documentation on the HIL, so
I'm not sure how to fix it, at the moment.