Subject: problems with 2 scsi disks on a HP 9000/400T
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Thorsten Frueauf <frueauf@ira.uka.de>
List: port-hp300
Date: 03/24/1996 16:57:18
Hello!

I have run into strange problems while I installed a second scsi harddisk
into my HP 9000/400T.

The first hurdle I got with haveing the boot disk jumpered to target 6.
This caused that the second disk got not recognized at all, regardless
which target I jumpered it. Then I came to the conclusion that I need to
jumper the boot disk lower than the second one - success with target 5
for the boot fdisk and target 6 for the second disk.

Now I get problems with the second disk - a Quantum Lighning 730S.
If I power on the system all works well:

scsi0 at scode14 ipl 4: 32 bit dma, async, scsi id 7
sd0 at scsi0 slave 5: <RODIME, RO3000T, 5.75>
sd0: 1216 cylinders, 9 heads, 410211 blocks, 512 bytes/block
sd1 at scsi0 slave 6: <QUANTUM, LIGHTNING 730S, 241E> (SCSI-2)
sd1: 3658 cylinders, 4 heads, 1431760 blocks, 512 bytes/block

but if I do a reboot, only the boot disk is recognized:

scsi0 at scode14 ipl 4: 32 bit dma, async, scsi id 7
sd0 at scsi0 slave 5: <RODIME, RO3000T, 5.75>
sd0: 1216 cylinders, 9 heads, 410211 blocks, 512 bytes/block

and fsck bumps on sd1 (cause it is no longer recognized). If I power down
and up again the system works again like expected!

Whats going on? Does the Quantum Lighning 730S something nasty?
Did anyone see this strange behaviour too?

I would be happy on any advice on how to ttrack down that strange problem!

Thanx for any help in advance!

Greets
      Thorsten