Subject: Re: HP/Apollo 400t
To: None <Antti.Miettinen@ntc.nokia.com>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: port-hp300
Date: 12/18/1995 08:12:19
Antti Miettinen <amiettin@trshp.trs.ntc.nokia.com>  wrote:
 > A friend of mine had some time and compiled a kernel with some
 > debugging, and we got the following from the HP/Apollo 400t:
 >
 > one D25 connector in the rear and there is a three way splitter (1*D25
 > => 3*D25) connected to it. Those three connectors can be used as
 > /dev/sio[123] under DomainOS. Under NetBSD I have not been able to use

Are you sure they work as /dev/sio[123] under Domain/OS? I know that the
DN[345]500's had those little thingies on the back in order to blow out
3 serial ports from one connector but that's because there's 2 SCN2681's
on the board each of which has 2 ports on it.  sio0 being the keyboard
and sio[123] being the serial ports.

When we first got 400's, we tried the fanouts and they didn't work. I even
remember asking an Apollo tech person and they answered in the negative. Also,
looking on the motherboard, there is only one UART and it's a 16550 so
unless they buried the other 3 UARTs inside one of their ASIC's, I don't
see how this is possible.  (And if they were going to bury 3 UARTs in an
ASIC, then why not the fourth?)

I could be confused though.