Subject: Re: rboot or bootp?
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Vince Vielhaber <vev@conch.aa.msen.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 12/17/1995 10:28:01
On Sat, 16 Dec 1995, Jason Thorpe wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Dec 1995 17:26:40 -0800
>  Jason Thorpe <thorpej> wrote:
>
>  > rbootd is a daemon that listens for HP Remote Maintainance Protocol boot
>  > requests.  It's low-layer.  Short answer: you can't boot an HP without
>  > it.  Once the BOOTROM has loaded the bootblock (SYS_NBOOT) with rboot,
>  > then it uses rarp and bootparam to find it's IP address, root, and loads
>  > the kernel via NFS.
>
> Just to clear up any confusion my poorly-worded paragraph might cause ...
> the bootblock will use rarp/bootparam/NFS, not the BOOTROM :-)

Is the rbootd.tar that's on the ftp site complete or is it dependant on
something else in NetBSD to run?  If it's complete, I'll try to port it
to OS/2 via gcc and emx.

Also you mentioned something wrong with the miniroot on the ftp site.  Is
that fixed or is it something else that wasn't working?

Vince.

Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    Email: vev@msen.com     Flame mail: /dev/null
            Database Manager --  Michigan Area Repeater Council
                MSEN.COM is NOT the Microsoft Network!!
# include <std/disclaimer.h>        TEAM TIA              TEAM OS/2