Subject: Re: problem installing NetBSD-1.1 on hp425t
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Don Lewis <gdonl@gv.ssi1.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 12/06/1995 02:21:04
On Dec 4,  2:43pm, Jason Thorpe wrote:
} It is fairly well known that the hp300 SCSI code could stand some
} improvement.

Yup.  I just ran into a new problem.  It seems to be a bit unhappy
with my Maxtor LXT-213S drives.  Under load, they periodically cause
the error:

scsi0: abort from go: phase0x8a, ssts=0xb1, ints=0x0

then the whole thing just hangs.

Looking at the code, it seems that ixfer_out() in the CMD_PHASE leg
of the switch in scsigo() must be failing, but this doesn't make sense
because the SSTS_DREG_FULL bit is clear.  Thinking that the timing
might be borderline (these drives are pretty slow), I increased
SCSI_DATA_WAIT (which is used by ixfer_out()) from 1000 to 5000.  Still
no joy :-(

'Twould be nice if this problem didn't happen, and even better if the
scsi code managed to recover when it did.