Subject: New NetBSD/hp300 1.1_ALPHA pre-release
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 11/08/1995 18:07:01
There's new pre-release binary sets at:

	ftp://ftp.NetBSD.ORG/pub/NetBSD-1.1-ALPHA/hp300/

There's a bit more work to do, and I'll be cranking that out this
weekend.  Things have kept me hopping at work.  Attached below is the
README.  As always, let me know if there are any problems, and I'll be as
responsive as humanly possible.

Ciao.

-----cut here-----
						November 8, 1995

This is a pre-release snapshot of NetBSD/hp300 1.1_ALPHA, made with
sources from November 6, 1995.

Sorry, I haven't had time to update the installation notes.  I'm probably
going to work on that this weekend; NASA has a holiday Friday.

The installation procedure is fairly self-explanitory, well, at least once
you get the miniroot written.  I'll outline what you need to do here:

	* Set up a boot server; see the diskless(8) manpage.  Configure
	  rbootd(8) to provide SYS_INST as the boot block.  For the
	  purposes of installing, rarp and bootparam servers are not
	  necessary; only NFS and rboot.

	* Netboot SYS_INST.  If you've never installed NetBSD/hp300
	  on the target disk, or wish to change your partition layout,
	  select the "disklabel" option to modify the disklabel.

	* Select the "miniroot" option, and answer all the questions.
	  A miniroot filesystem will be copied to the "b" partition
	  of the target disk.  NOTE: you must copy the miniroot from
	  an NFS server; tape miniroot copies don't work yet.  The
	  NFS server must have the filesystem exported for "root" access.

	* Select the "boot" option to boot the GENERIC kernel in the
	  miniroot filesystem.

	* Let the single-user shell default to "/bin/sh".  The install
	  program will begin to run.  Currently, only single-disk
	  installations work; i.e. install doesn't understand how to
	  disklabel a second disk.  I'm going to get that working RSN.

The installation program does a pretty good job of explaining the different
stages of installation.  If anyone would like to share their experiences,
please do.  I encourage everyone to try out the FTP installation option.
To use it directly from ftp.NetBSD.ORG, use the following information:

	Server IP: 205.149.163.23
	Server directory: /pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.1-ALPHA/hp300
	Login: anonymous
	Password: <your e-mail address>

The files you have to choose from are:

	base11.tar.gz	games11.tar.gz	misc11.tar.gz	man11.tar.gz
	comp11.tar.gz	text11.tar.gz	etc11.tar.gz

If you're upgrading, please be patient.  I also plan on having the
upgrade program done this weekend.

If you have any feedback, _please_ send it to port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG.  Not
only will I see it, but others can be aware of "gotchas".

Enjoy!
Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@NetBSD.ORG>