Subject: Problem booting a 370
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chris Trown <ctrown@ecst.csuchico.edu>
List: port-hp300
Date: 08/02/1995 22:16:22
     HI all!

     I've been tasked with trying to get one of our old 370 working with an OS
that's a bit(Ok, a lot) better then HPUX.  For the past few days, I've been
to get NetBSD 1.0 up and running.

     I managed to get a .9C system running.  But that system has problems when
I try and compile software(Like Perl).  I get a message something like:

Unreferenced symbol in crt0.0  _DYNAMIC.

     "Well this sucks" I said to myself, and went on a quest to get around it.
I installed .9C without really knowing that it was an older version.

     The machine has 16 megs of memory and an HP-IB bus.  I have a few disks at
my disposal, a rd7959B and a couple rd7963B.  The symptoms are the same for
both disks.

     I used the .9C system to disklabel and newfs the 7958.  I did do a
disklabel -B rd1 to the disk to make it bootable.  I also used that version to
load the 1.0 image.  The kernel is identified as NetBSD 1.0 (INSTALL)

     The problem:

     NetBSD boots part of the way.  It recognizes the hardware as a 370 with
a 68030 processor running at 33.33Mhz and has 16 meds of ram, of which
12574720 is available.  It sees both rd0 and rd1.  rd0 is the 1.0 system.  It
sees the ethernet device(le0).  Last thing I see is "root on rd0".

     That's it.  The drive light blinks briefly after that is displayed, but
it just seems to die.

     Has anyone run into this problem and has a solution, or possible
suggestions?

     I downloaded the kernel tree and tried to compile it, and it got as far as
pboot I think but there seems to be an incompatibility between the .9c ld and
what 1.0 expects of ld.  It chokes on the "-T FFFF0000" switch.  It says it
can't find the file FFFF0000.

     I'm inclined to think that the hard ware is fine since .9c works(It just
won't compile anything).

     Can the rd7963 drives be used to boot a 1.0 system with?

     Also, how do I boot a system on a different disk without having to change
the disks' addresses?

     Thanks for your time.

Chris...

+         Chris Trown	    + 	       Fly low		|   		      +
+ ctrown@ecst.csuchico.edu  +	      and avoid		| Will OGG for a job! +
+   KD6EVS | '92 CBR600F2   +  	      the radar		|		      +