Subject: Re: More on 425e running Domain/OS
To: None <hpeyerl@beer.org, kschwab@nyx10.cs.du.edu>
From: Mike Hibler <mike@cs.utah.edu>
List: port-hp300
Date: 07/26/1995 16:23:47
> To: kschwab@nyx10.cs.du.edu (Kerry Schwab)
> Cc: port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re: More on 425e running Domain/OS
> From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
> Date: Wed, 26 Jul 1995 15:01:14 -0600
>
> kschwab@nyx10.cs.du.edu (Kerry Schwab)  wrote:
>  > I did get NetBSD with one rather BIG catch.  I have no display.
>  > Apparently the "EVRX" video is not supported.  Is this true ?
>  > Will it be supported in the future ?
>  >
>  > Here's what my system says about it when booting:
>  > >EVRX at SGC slot 0 (Console)
>
> I believe (Mike will probably correct me) this is the model of display
> card that eventually made it into the hp700's... There exists, somewhere,
> apparently some hp700 Mach code that probably has code for that controller..
> The hp300 port doesn't presently support that display controller. Though it
> might make some people happy if it did.

Sometime around the 400 series of machines HP went to a common interface to
graphics devices call STI.  All later displays (including all 700 displays)
use this interface.  Hence, our Mach port for the hp700 has a driver for
it.  The mach4 kernel source which includes the necessary files is available
as ftp://jaguar.cs.utah.edu/flexmach/ALPHA/mach4-UK08.tar.Z (about 3MB).
In addition to the drivers, you will need to know the magic address (or
addresses) at which to access the STI/font rom on the device.  I do not know
these addresses (though the boot ROM might tell you).

>  > I then run "CF" from the PROM monitor and configure for HPUX
>  > boot mode.  At this point it won't recognize or do anything
>  > useful with the serial ports.  If I press the spacebar on the domain
>  > keyboard while in HPUX boot mode, I get a prompt that says:
>
> You'll have to wait for Jason or someone else to respond to the rest. This
> is beyond my sphere of knowledge.

Does NetBSD find a serial port?  You should be able to run /sbin/dmesg to
see console messages even without the console.  Of course, that is assuming
that you can get up multi-user and on the network without interacting with
the console.  If netbsd finds the serial port, you should be able to build
a kernel with the console hardwired to the serial port (i.e., ignoring what
the ROM says is the console).  Someone else can probably tell you exactly
what to do, but it is something like modifying dcacnprobe to set the
"priority" of the device to CN_REMOTE (I should know since I wrote this
stuff, but it was a long time ago :-)