Subject: Re: SUCCESS!!! (Was Re: Still no luck booting on HP-340...)
To: Mike Hibler <mike@cs.utah.edu>
From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
List: port-hp300
Date: 07/25/1995 13:46:03
Mike Hilber said:
> > To: port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG
> > Cc: thorpej@nas.nasa.gov
> > Subject: SUCCESS!!! (Was Re: Still no luck booting on HP-340...)
> > Date: Tue, 25 Jul 1995 13:03:08 -0600
> > From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
> > Sender: owner-port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG

> > The solution: We added "-DSLOWSCSI" to the Makefile in
> > /usr/src/sys/arch/hp300/stand
>
> See if your hp300/stand/scsivar.h has a 7 byte sc_msg field.

Indeed, it does.

>  If so, bummer!
> I had hoped that the SLOWSCSI hack was no longer needed.

Personally, I'm glad it was still there :-)
(Else we probably wouldn't be running NetBSD on the 340s right now.)

> Here is from our RCS log:
> ----
> revision 1.2
> date: 1992/08/12 06:45:29;  author: mike;  state: Exp;  lines: +1 -1
> increase MESG_IN/OUT field to 7 bytes.  Most drives only return 1 bytes
> but some (MO) return more.  If the MESG_IN phase code fails to read all
> the pending bytes, it throws the controller out of sync leading to a
> variety of odd behaviors:
>         boot program failures on warm reboot (ixfer_start failures)

Hmm... I've seen this behavior on the 319 with the standard bootblocks.
(not sure about the 340 - havn't had a chance to experiment with it
yet -- we just got it going :-) ).  On the 319 when you do a
"shutdown -fr now", it reboots, but the system hangs after
"BOOTING A SYSTEM" with "SYSTEM NOT FOUND" (it doesn't find the SCSI drive,
nor does it look to the net to do a netboot...(from our HP-UX cluster))

>         read requests that silently do nothing (VJ's old printf in sd.c)
> this may also be the cause of the occasional failures of the boot
> program on 68040s though I haven't tested it yet.

Later...

Greg Oster

oster@cs.usask.ca
Department of Computational Science
University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, CANADA