Subject: Re: Installing to Domain Equipped 425e
To: Kerry Schwab <kschwab@nyx.cs.du.edu>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: port-hp300
Date: 07/22/1995 11:43:40
kschwab@nyx10.cs.du.edu (Kerry Schwab)  wrote:
 > 1) I inherited this machine with no passwords, and so I can only
 >    watch as the machine boots into the domain 'X' login screen.
 >    What is the 'magic' keyboard sequence (on a Domain keyboard) to
 >    get the PROM monitor prompt ?

Set the machine into service-mode by hitting one of the buttons on
the front.. not sure which one.  One of them is 'reset' and the other
is 'normal/service'. Once it's in service mode, press CTRL-ENTER while
Domain/OS is running or if it's in service mode when you hit reset then
it will stop in the PROM and not auto-boot.  The PROM mode will look
something like this:

MD7C REV 5.00, 1988/10/27.09:18:09

A   ACCESS MEM    B   BRKPOINTS     C   COPY MEM      CA  CALL
CB  CLR BKPTS     D   DSPLAY MEM    DL  DOWN LOAD     DP  DUMP OS
DR  DUMP REGS     DU  DUMP SYSTM    F   FILL MEM      G   GO
PV  PA-TO-VA      S   SEARCH MEM    SS  SNGLE STEP    V   VERIFY MEM
VP  VA-TO-PA      XE  ENABLE XON    XD  DISABL XON    AR  ACC CTRLRG
DI  DEFINE DSK    EX  EX (CPU)      EY  EX-N-TRAP     FO  FORCE LOAD
IC  INST CACHE    DC  DATA CACHE    LD  LIST SAU      LN  LIST NETS
LO  LOAD FILE     M   MAP MODE      P   PHYS MODE     RE  RESET
SH  SHUT DISK     SK  SEL KEYBD     TE  TEST          H   HELP

(note, the commands will be different because that's the output from
one of my Apollo 3500's).

You should be able to type "CF" I believe to configure either DOMAIN
or HPUX mode. Once in HPUX mode, it will be able to boot NetBSD though
the Domain keyboard should still work in both modes from the PROM. But
no further.

Alternatively, there are ways to break into Domain/OS if you felt that
was necessary. shouldn't be though.

 > 3) Is anyone working on support for Domain keyboards ?

Not that I'm aware of though it shouldn't be too difficult.  The
keyboards are 1200,e,7,1 and are probably on one of the serial
ports...