Subject: Re: Building a new kernel for a 345
To: None <eeh@btr.btr.com>
From: Brian J. Fox <bfox@wizard.datawave.net>
List: port-hp300
Date: 06/29/1995 12:06:46
   Date: Thu, 29 Jun 1995 08:41:50 -0700 (PDT)
   From: "Eduardo E. Horvath  eeh@btr.com" <eeh@btr.btr.com>
   Cc: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>, port-hp300@netbsd.org, mehlhaff@crl.com
   Sender: owner-port-hp300@netbsd.org
   content-length: 1222

   On Wed, 28 Jun 1995, 'Most Excellent' Eric Mehlhaff wrote:

   > Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org> recently wrote:
   >

   > >"Eduardo E. Horvath eeh@btr.com" <eeh@btr.btr.com>  wrote:
   > > > 1) I have been trying to build a new kernel for an hp-9000/345.  The new
   > > > kernel boots, but as soon as I go into multi-user mode I get a panic
   > >
   > >There are a lot of panic() calls in the kernel.  Unfortunately, it's
   > >difficult to diagnose your problem without knowing where the kernel
   > >panic'd...
   >
   > I just want to say I have similar problems trying to boot up a
   > hp-9000/350 on kernels compiled from current tarballs.  I've tracked it
   > down to right where /etc/rc does the mount -nonfs (just after fsck).

   While this is rather interesting, I'm trying to get a 1.0 kernel to work,
   not a -current.  I finally have some info on the panic (I usually get two
   of them so the first scrolls off the screen):

   trap type=2 code=0 v=0
   pid=24 pc=000051ea ps=2000
   sfc = 0001 dfc=0001

   followed, of course, by the manditory register dump and stack dump.

   I was hoping that someone would tell me that this is a well known problem
   with a simple fix.

   I'm going to try to compile the INSTALL kernel and see how that fares.

   Eduardo

Turn off all forms of debugging in the config.  Rebuild from the 1.0
sources.

Don't ask me why, but it worked for me.

Brian