Subject: Re: Building a new kernel for a 345
To: 'Most Excellent' Eric Mehlhaff <mehlhaff@crl.com>
From: Eduardo E. Horvath eeh@btr.com <eeh@btr.btr.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 06/29/1995 08:41:50
On Wed, 28 Jun 1995, 'Most Excellent' Eric Mehlhaff wrote:

> Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org> recently wrote:
>

> >"Eduardo E. Horvath eeh@btr.com" <eeh@btr.btr.com>  wrote:
> > > 1) I have been trying to build a new kernel for an hp-9000/345.  The new
> > > kernel boots, but as soon as I go into multi-user mode I get a panic
> >
> >There are a lot of panic() calls in the kernel.  Unfortunately, it's
> >difficult to diagnose your problem without knowing where the kernel
> >panic'd...
>
> I just want to say I have similar problems trying to boot up a
> hp-9000/350 on kernels compiled from current tarballs.  I've tracked it
> down to right where /etc/rc does the mount -nonfs (just after fsck).

While this is rather interesting, I'm trying to get a 1.0 kernel to work,
not a -current.  I finally have some info on the panic (I usually get two
of them so the first scrolls off the screen):

trap type=2 code=0 v=0
pid=24 pc=000051ea ps=2000
sfc = 0001 dfc=0001

followed, of course, by the manditory register dump and stack dump.

I was hoping that someone would tell me that this is a well known problem
with a simple fix.

I'm going to try to compile the INSTALL kernel and see how that fares.

Eduardo