Subject: Re: A few questions Re: netboot
To: Mark F Willey <willey@ecn.purdue.edu>
From: Cameron Blackwood <korg@rdt.monash.edu.au>
List: port-hp300
Date: 06/08/1995 12:00:43
Mark Willey wrote:
 | > Well, I finally got the network card working! I installed netbsd and
 | > it worked fine! I do have one or two questions.... (ok then, 3
 |
 | Good to hear.  I was a little worried that it wouldn't work when I got your
 | mail about a week ago.  What turned out to be thre problem/fix?

*BLUSH* Well, I was testing the hp ethernet card with a PC under linux
and a tranceiver with Flashing Lights(tm). Anyway, I could see the PC
generate traffic and the HP reply and each seemed to know the other
was there, but nothing was comming though. The lights seemed to flash
at the right times, etc. The PC reported recieve errors, transmitts
were ok.

HPUX landiag reported something about heartbeats not working, so I
assumed it was the HP. Arp on the PC reported the HP as ether address
0:0:0 (etc), so I formed the opinion that the stuff was getting to the
HP ok, but the reply was coming back as an error/zero. Much playing
later I dragged the PC into Uni and plugged it into our network. The
PC failed again. It seems that by adding an extra serial card, it
had collided with the IO port on the PC. I let the card `software
configure' itself and its all fine.

Moral of story: I hate PCs and I fit the definition in my quote.

 | > Maybe my disks are getting old (this _IS_ true), one I need to
[...]
 | > everything, if I could. I get about the same performance :)
 |
 | Actually, I had this problem as well - I needed to totally shut down
 | between boots.  Putting as much on NFS as possible would probably be a good
 | idea.  ;-)

Well, from what I can see, the HPIB disks give me about 180k per
second (wooosh!) and I get a similar amount from NFS. So, I figure I
may as well use NFS.

Thats why I would rather boot diskless. Why turn on the *#$*ing 7945s
when I can run it off my PC with no real performace loss. Plus then I
could drop the HPIB card and maybe get another memory card in. :)

Or it could be the fact its a 68020 with 200ns ramcards. That don't
help.

 | Mark
cam

--
 / `Rev Dr' cameron.blackwood@rdt.monash.edu.au       skeptic, virtual goth \
< [+61 3] 905 3403 or 809 1523                BSD Unix, C/C++, genetics, ATM >