Subject: ppi driver
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Lohmann <lohmann@elbert.uccs.edu>
List: port-hp300
Date: 02/24/1995 21:10:48
Could someone tell me what I am doing wrong when trying to use the ppi
driver to run an HPIB printer?  I am still running the NetBSD 1.0
binaries and generic kernel because I have not had time to clean up
any more disks to install the source code.  The generic kernel specifies
ppi at:

ppi0 at hpib0 slave 5

I have connected an HP2563A line printer to hpib0 and set its address to
5 (also tried all addresses from 0 to 7).

I created the following /dev entry as specified by the ppi man page:

crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   11,   0 Feb 23 13:29 /dev/ppi

I have uncommented each of the second and third printcap entries (one at
a time), but have gotten nary a character from the printer.

#	@(#)printcap	5.3 (Berkeley) 6/30/90

#lp|local line printer:\
#	:lp=/dev/lp:sd=/var/spool/lpd:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:
#lp|local line printer:\
#	:lp=/dev/ppi:sd=/var/spool/lpd:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs: \
#lp|local line printer:\
#	:lp=/dev/ppi:sd=/var/spool/lpd:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs: \
#	:of=/usr/libexec/lpr/lpf:

I send several 'lpr /etc/hosts' commands and in each case find the
first submission disappears and the others are on the queue and
indicate 'offline?' (as reported by lpq).  The printer is online
(believe me, I've checked) and functions normally when connected to
a HP-UX system.

Really appreciate any hints.

Dave Lohmann
Systems Administrator
Computer Science Department
University of Colorado at Colorado Springs