Subject: Re: rbootd?
To: Set <set@kickapoo.cs.iastate.edu>
From: Jason Downs <downsj@CSOS.ORST.EDU>
List: port-hp300
Date: 11/12/1994 20:51:37
In message <199411130352.WAA08574@duality.gnu.ai.mit.edu>, Set writes:
>        Could someone help me with a brief description of what has
>to be done to boot one hp from another, via network? I think, mainly
>what Im missing is the boot file/s. Im not sure what Im suposed to
>tell rbootd to feed to the booting machine, where it is, or how to
>make it.

there is no such boot file. near as i can figure, all we need is a working
LIF bootblock that will do NFS. this is on my 'TODO' list, as i have a
machine that i would dearly love to run diskless.

>        Also, does anyone have any info on a card (98628a), calling
>itself 'data comm    opt 100 async/dl  ftz #02429d'.

it is the 'dcl' card. i have a stack of these as well, and the old driver
from Utah. i've only got it partially working with NetBSD; it essentially
needs to be rewritten from scratch.

>        I suspect it is a mux card, but it has a centronics 50 pin
>connector on the back (like scsi?), and Im wondering if it is suposed
>to work with one of these little boxes, that has a centronics, and
>a bunch of db25 serial connectors that came with a 9000/550 I ended
>up with...

it uses a specific cable that has the Centronics connector at one end,
and a regular db25 serial connector at the other.

>        And totally on the side, does anyone know where I might
>turn up an operating system that would run on an old hp9000/550?
>Something I could maybe squeeze onto a 50meg drive....otherwise
>this thing is just a silly footstool to me.

no idea. i'd just recommend the 'garbage dump' OS, personally.

-------------------// jason downs // downsj@CSOS.ORST.EDU //------------------
	       All new home page! http://www.CSOS.ORST.EDU/downsj