Subject: Re: new install, have questions
To: 'Most Excellent' Eric Mehlhaff <mehlhaff@crl.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@cs.orst.edu>
List: port-hp300
Date: 11/10/1994 22:58:37
On Thu, 10 Nov 1994 22:00:22 -0800
 "'Most Excellent' Eric Mehlhaff" <mehlhaff@crl.com> wrote:

 > 	I just managed to get netbsd installed on an hp9000/350 we had
 > collecting dust and I have a few comments and questions on it.

*applause*  350 - woah...

 > 1) What terminal type is the ite console supposed to be?  Its not a big
 >     deal because I got X working like a charm. But still, it'd be nice
 >     to be able to use vi in full-screen mode when X is not working.

Running X?!?!  *standing ovation*

hp300h, BTW...

 > 2) How do I use the serial port?
 > 	When the thing was running in HpUX 7.0, I could use the serial
 >     port -- in fact, it was the only way I could cummunicate with this
 >     HP (imagine transferring teh 5 meg rootfs image over null-modem
 >     kermit!).   Now that I've gotten netbsd running, I've discovered that
 >     the machine's thin-ether works (too bad I can't plug it in anywhere at
 >     the moment -- if anyone's got tips on how to get thin-net working within
 >     a 10baseT-only network, I'd be glad to hear them!).
 > 	However, I can't seem to use the serial port. I've tried accessing
 >     /dev/tty00, but I just get 'device not configured' errors.  I'm trying
 >     to compile a new kernel from current sources, but am not sure this will
 >     fix the problem.

The 350 has a dca - /dev/tty0  (note one zero)

 > 3) How do I make an alternate boot partition?  I'd like to rip every last
 >     sign of HpUX off of my machine, but if I did that and then lose my current
 >     boot partition, I have no way to recover anything.  Being able to boot off
 >     of a spare disk has saved me many a time with my amiga NetBSD...

Hmm - Just install the bootblocks there, put a kernel there with the
appropriate root/swap config, and tell the bootblock where to
go...nicely, of course :-) And the rest of the goo, of course...I've never
done this, myself, but if one can boot off of rd1 from a bootblock on rd0
(like I have...) I imagine that you can say rd0e instead of rd0a, too...

 > 4) I thought the netBSD M68k architecture machines were supposed to be
 >    binary compatible.  Now, I discover that the hp is really m68k4k, and
 >    that m68k binaries won't work on it.
 >    What can I do about binary sharing and/or cross-compiling between my NetBSD
 >    Amiga?

Sorry - ENOWORK

 > 5) New updates?
 > 	1.0 is out for most of the other architectures, is anyone making
 >     up a new set of binaries and/or install instructions?  The current set
 >     wasn't too bad, but having to learn 'ed' to run disklabel was a pain (no
 >     the rootfs image does not have enough to run vi!)
 >     Last thing I recall hearing about this, there was a post to this list
 >     looking for someone to take over support of hp300 netbsd, and I don't
 >     remember seeing any volunteers.

Actually - I'm almost finished with the hp300 1.0 stuff...Should have it
finished tonite...*cross fingers*  (right, Herb?  :-)

Later...

Jason R. Thorpe               thorpej@cs.orst.edu                 758-2003
Systems Administrator            CSWest Room 5                    737-5567
CS Dept, Oregon State University           http://www.cs.orst.edu/~thorpej
               "I brought my BOWLING BALL -- and some DRUGS!"
                      -- ztp