Subject: Re: A few questions about the latest rootimage...
To: None <joost@cadlab.de>
From: Mike Hibler <mike@cs.utah.edu>
List: port-hp300
Date: 07/20/1994 14:21:41
> From: Michael Joosten <joost@ori.cadlab.de>
> Date: Wed, 20 Jul 1994 22:08:33 --100
> To: port-hp300@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu
> Subject: A few questions about the latest rootimage...

> The box in question is a 400t with Apollo equipment, so that the keyboard
> won't work. Does a terminal hooked to the serial port work as console? Do I
> have to 'remove' (graphics card) or disable some stuff first? Before I'm going
> to convince someone to spend the money for the keyboard change, I'd like to
> know if all works well... Yeah, and I'll have to check about that free upgrade
> to 425, too.
>
> Thanks, Michael

A couple of comments:

Does it have an HIL connector on the back?  (the HIL is the HP-style
keyboard/mouse/etc. interface)  If the machine doesn't have an HIL at all
I'm not sure the kernel will boot.

Does it have ethernet (802.3) or does it have token-ring?  None of the
BSDs support the Apollo token ring.  You could be stuck without a LAN.

As I recall, you will have to reconfigure the boot ROM somehow to get an
HP-UX style boot sequence.  Unfortunately, I don't remember how to do this.
If it is in "HP-UX mode" you should see something like:
----
Self-Test Mode
Copyright 1991,
Hewlett-Packard Company.
All Rights Reserved.

BOOTROM  Rev. 3.11  19 NOV 91
MD11 REV 3.21 1992/02/20.15:57:25
Bit Mapped Video
MC68040 Processor
Configuration EEPROM
Utility Chip at 41
HP-HIL.Keyboard
 RESET To Restart
 Self-Test Mode
HP-IB
DMA-C0
 Self-Test Mode
RAM 25165482 Bytes
HP98644 (RS-232) at 9
HP PARALLEL at 12
----

The graphics card should be OK, though you might pull it just to be safe
(and ensure that the console output comes out on the serial port).