Subject: Re: Audio on the hp300
To: None <carrel@cisco.com, port-hp300@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Mike Hibler <mike@cs.utah.edu>
List: port-hp300
Date: 07/05/1994 17:42:04
> To: port-hp300@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu
> Subject: Audio on the hp300
> Date: Tue, 05 Jul 1994 12:47:38 -0700
> From: David Carrel <carrel@cisco.com>
>
> I have an hp375 with the external speaker box (connects to the hil bus AND
> to the main CPU with an audio cable).  Is there any audio I can get out of
> this other than just beeping???  I thought I remembered someone telling me
> once that this could do low res voice.
>
> Is there any audio software for NetBSD that is either ported to the hp300
> or would make a good starting place for me to work with??  Does anyone
> have info on how the interfaces work?  X11 seems to use the non-hil (audio
> cable) interface to do beeping.  Do you get better audio from the
> audio-cable interface or the hil interface??

I assume you are talking about the 46081A HP-HIL/AUDIO Extension module?
Here is what the HIL manual says, I know nothing about audio so you'll have
to interpret:
----
1.8 THE BEEPER

The beeper has been enhanced to include four independent voices three
of which have programmable tone, the fourth is a noise generator.  Each
of the voices have programmable volume and duration.  In addition to the
aformentioned timers there are 5 timers associated with the beeper.
----