Subject: Re: X11 binaries available
To: David Carrel <carrel@cisco.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@postgres.Berkeley.EDU>
List: port-hp300
Date: 04/11/1994 11:30:44
> > Also note that the .a's and shlibs should *NOT* go in /usr/lib,
> > but rather X11R5/lib...  Nothing but system libraries should go
> > in /usr/lib...
>
> Chris,
>
> why is this?  Is this simply a matter of organization.

yes.  /usr/lib is system libraries, and that's it...

> Would it also then
> make sense to put the binaries in /usr/X11R5/bin instead of /usr/bin/X11?
> and to put the X config stuff in /usr/X11R5/lib/X11 instead of /usr/lib/X11?

that's the 'standard' way to do it, at least as far as i've seen.

you *definitely* don't want /usr/{bin,lib}/X11 -- it's a maintenance
headache...

> If you suggest a better set of paths I'll remake this and get you a set of
> broken up tar balls:

cool.

put *everyting* under one tree, e.g. /usr/X11R5.

under that you've got:
	bin		(binaries)
	man		(man pages)
	include		(includes)
	lib		(lib stuff...)

under lib are a bunch of libraries, and also "X11", for config files.

chris