Subject: Re: X for hp300?
To: David Carrel <carrel@cisco.com>
From: Mark Davies <mark@Comp.VUW.AC.NZ>
List: port-hp300
Date: 04/05/1994 21:54:53
	From:  David Carrel <carrel@cisco.com>
	Date:  Mon, 04 Apr 1994 10:30:07 -0700

> > Redirect the output from starting up X to a file (if you haven't already).
> > There may be some error messages you don't see because the terminal emulator
> > (ite) is deactivated as soon as the frame buffer device is opened.
>
> Already did this!  There weren't any significant messages.  It was
> complaining about not finding the X0screens file, but it was choosing the
> correct default.  Anyway, I added the files X0screens and X0devices and the
> messages go away.  But still no keyboard and mouse.  ;-(

Yeah these should default correctly (for a normal setup).

> > As for speed, as I recall text drawing was a little slow (I've gotten used
> > to it now so I can't say for sure).  Mark knew what was wrong but didn't
have
> > time to fix it.  Maybe he can elaborate.

The slow down in text drawing over the R4 server is because it no longer caches
common fonts in the off screen memory and then just bitblt when you use them.
They completely changed font reading in R5 and I never got around to working
out a nice way of getting the fonts into the cache.  Maybe this will get looked
at again with R6.

> The biggest thing I noticed is that input is done by read()-ing the HIL
> instead of using the shared memory queues (they are documented in hil(4) ).
> Anyway, I'm not concerned with that right now.  The speed is really good
> enough.  I really just want to be able to type.

The input side of the server is pretty much the code from the hpux server hp
released back in late 1992 with the minimal changes needed to work under bsd.

Are hpPointer and hpKeyboard getting set to the correct devices?  Check out
init_hil_devs().

cheers
mark