Subject: Re: Greetings and a first question!
To: Cameron Blackwood <korg@rdt.monash.edu.au>
From: Bdale Garbee <bdale@gag.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 03/22/1994 23:39:04
> First step, I suppose, is to get BSD running on my machine.  Is there
> a boot image as with the PC version, or does one simply (ha :-) get
> berkeley make, make the kernel and place in one of the magic kernel
> slots so the ROM picks it up on boot.

As of a couple of nights ago, I have a January-ish snapshot of current running
on a 370 in my basement at home.  I'm in the midst of recompiling and
installing the "current" current from scratch (the tar files snapshot).
Going well so far.

A friend inside HP that I helped get 4.4 up on a machine used that to cross-
compile the NetBSD stuff, and then sent me a boot image.  Unfortunately, he
sent me only a dd of the root filesystem, missing the disklabel and bootstraps
from the front of the disk, but with some clever surgery and a few Diet Pepsi's
I got it up ok, and seem to be sufficiently stable now to recompile and
install.  Have the right licenses to get to the 4.4 hp300 bootimage made this
a bit easier, though I ended up doing most of the work under HP-UX where I
had put tools together to hack on the pc532 port... long story.

In a day or two, I'll be in a good position to make a boot image available if
noone more 'official' on this list is prepared to.

I installed by using a random machine with a SCSI interface to DD the image
onto a raw disk, booted it, and used it to label another disk the way I
wanted, using tar to move things across, and then booting the second disk.  It
worked well.  The bootstraps will support either SCSI or HP-IB, so the same
technique should work if you have a running HP-UX system to do the dd on.

I also just joined this list, so if I'm speaking out of turn, slap my wrist...
I certainly have no idea what the usual procedure is for making these sorts
of bits available, though I notice there are no hp300 binaries in the arch
tree on sun-lamp.  If noone else on this list is preparing to fix that, I
certainly would be happy to.

Bdale, bdale@col.hp.com by day, bdale@gag.com by night