Port-evbmips archive

Re: Which kernel for Lemote Yeeloong?

On Thu, 17 Nov 2011, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 11:38:55PM -0600, John D. Baker wrote:

The LOONGSON kernel complained about a corrupted environment, that it
couldn't determine the platform and that it was unsupported hardware.

How did you boot it ? I'm seen this on occasions (it seems that
pmon is overwriting part of its memory on occasion, or fail
to restore it); but using "boot -k" instead of "boot" usually works
around the problem. A power cycle can also help.

Ah.  I'd forgotten to use "-k".  Adding that option so that the boot
command was:

  boot -k tftp://x.y.z.q/netbsd-LOONGSON

loaded the kernel and it was happy enough to get as far as displaying
messages in PMON text mode to the effect of:

  pmap_steal_memory [blah]
  pmap_steal_memory [blahblah]

(I'll try to get more complete messages soon) and then it doesn't appear
to go any further.  Perhaps the workarounds for the various processor
errata are not enabled, or not approriate/sufficient for the Yeeloong's
Loongson-2f processor?

Attempts to boot the GDIUM64 kernel with "-k" didn't change the behavior
from that described previously.   The Yeeloong has 1GB of RAM, but the
GDIUM64 kernel's only discernable output was to claim that it only had
256MB of which 247MB were available.