Subject: Re: evbmips and MIPS3 timecounters committed
To: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@NetBSD.org>
List: port-evbmips
Date: 09/02/2006 17:07:08
Garrett D'Amore wrote:

> Simon Burge wrote:
> >
> > I think we can put the core of the TC implementation in arch/mips, and
> > then leave the rest in the per-port clock setup.  It's only a small
> > chunk of code, but I think it's better to have a small .c file in
> > arch/mips than exactly the same chunk of code duplicated over all MIPS
> > ports that have MIPS3 or greater CPUs.
>
> Concur.

Cool.  It'd be nice to think that we could share more of the clock setup
code, but I suspect it's not going to be the case (easily).

> > I also think we might be better of using "mips_cp0_count" or similar for
> > the timercounter name.  We're using only part of the CP0 register space.
>
> I agree with that.  Are there any length limitations on the name?

There's a

	/*
	 * maximum name length for TC names in sysctl interface
	 */
	#define MAX_TCNAMELEN   64

in kern/kern_tc.c.  So no issue with "mips_cp0_count".

Cheers,
Simon.