Subject: Malta-4Kc> pcn spurious interrupts. IRQ10 is Level or Edge triggered?
To: None <port-mips@netbsd.org, port-evbmips@netbsd.org>
From: GIRISH V. GULAWANI <girishvg@yahoo.com>
List: port-evbmips
Date: 06/12/2002 04:36:44
Hi, all.

I'm trying to bring up the NetBSD on Malta board. I am
facing problems in ethernet driver, described below.
The device is "pcn". Any help in this regard is
greatly appreciated.

.1 The PCI device detection & configuration is ok.
.2 The driver reads wrong ethernet address.
     FAILURE IN SPD/EEPROM ACCESS?
For this, I wrote a small utility to read ethernet
address from YAMON environment.
.3 The packets are sent out. As I understand the
driver by design does not handle TX interrupts
regularly. The DHCP/BOOTP packets being sent to the
server can be observed on "tcpdump".
.4 The DHCP/BOOTP server running on a PC based NetBSD
host replies. These reply packets can be seen on
"tcpdump" again.
   NO TX/RX INTERRUPTS TO THE DEVICE?
Here the PIC-8259 access always returns 0xFF upon OCW3
access. This results in Spurious Interrupt case. I
have also tried Galileo int-ack read, it returns
IRQ-7, that is spurious too.
.5 If CSR0 is polled, the interrupt bit is getting
set, however no interrupts to the device. Also the
continued polling shows CSR0 being set to 0xFFFF.
.8 During the interrupt establishment for "pcn"
device, the interrupt type as LEVEL is ignored &
instead it assumes type NONE. Of course changing the
interrupt type did not make any difference.

.9 I am also observing a strange problem especially
with the ethernet on the Malta board. I use "load"
utility of YAMON to download netbsd.hex over TFTP. The
ethernet does not start download immediately.
Typically it gives ARP timeout & the tcpdump also
doesn't show the packets. On 2/3 attempts it starts
download. This is in a simplest Class-C two machines
network, so no question of packet loss etc. My
question here is whether Malta board requires any
settling delay to ethernet to start??

Has anybody seen such behaviours on Malta board??

Please help me.
Many thanks in advance.
Girish.

=====