Subject: Re: Is NetBSD/dreamcast suitable for watching videos/playing music?
To: None <port-dreamcast@netbsd.org>
From: Karsten Kruse <tecneeq@gmx.net>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 10/17/2006 18:14:44
Marcus Comstedt schrieb:

>> the media files reside on the server (a FreeBSD machine --
>> to be used as the boot and swap server as well)

> Note however that
> the CPU in the Dreamcast is just a 200MHz SH4, so you can't expect to
> play anything more complicated than maybe MPEG1 at video CD
> resolutions.

You could try to recode video to mpeg1 on the fly on the FreeBSD box and
stream the output to the Dreamcast. I'm not sure if the bandwidth is
enough, but it's worth a try. I believe VLC can do such stunts.

I wish i had a BBA myself to try ;).

Karsten Kruse

--
        www.tecneeq.de    www.newbie-net.de    blog.onetbsd.de