Subject: Re: Stability of 2.0_RCx?
To: Christian Groessler <cpg@aladdin.de>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 12/09/2004 16:30:24
On 09 Dec 2004 21:59:29 +0100, Christian Groessler <cpg@aladdin.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > From: Andy Ruhl [mailto:acruhl@gmail.com]
> >
> > There is a NetBSD-2.0 directory out on the FTP site with kernels and
> > userlands... It might make sense to use that instead of compiling your
> > own since that will be a known baseline. I keep meaning to set up an
> > nfs server with this stuff and boot the dreamcast (it's been a while
> > now) but I haven't done it. When (if) I get it running I'll do some
> > checking to see if it works.
>
> I've just tried the kernel from the ftp with BBA adapter, and it still
> reboots.
> This was using my userland.
>

> > Note that if you have a buggy network or network adapter, all bets are
> > off if you are swapping. With 16 megs of memory on the dreamcast, it's
> > probably very likely you are swapping. And I'm not sure you'd ever
> > know if the network was giving you problems unless you want to go
> > through a dump to find out...
>
> Hmm, what do you mean with the network "giving problems"? I've tried
> with 2 different network adapters and it happens with both. So the
> adapters themselves shouldn't be the problem.

Yeah well...

This is sort of a problem because the network adapter we all know
isn't the greatest chipset ever (that realtek stuff is not top of the
line), and since if you get an error on that adapter it can't log it
since it needs to use the network to log the error... You get the
picture. You tried 2 different dreamcast adapters? If so, that's
pretty lucky that you have that many of them...

I'm starting to build a machine to host the dreamcast filesystem now.
Maybe I can do some testing with you at some point here.

And 2.0 just got announced so this is good. A nice place to start from.

Andy