Subject: Re: Stability of 2.0_RCx?
To: Christian Groessler <cpg@aladdin.de>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 12/03/2004 15:00:56
On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 22:19:32 +0100, Christian Groessler <cpg@aladdin.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't know since when this happens, I haven't run NetBSD/dreamcast for
> some months.
>
> Now I want to update to an up-to-date 2.0RC version, but I get strange
> reboots or hangs.
>
> Today the DC simply rebooted while it was unpacking a cross-compiled
> base.tgz
> (accessed over NFS).
>
> Last week I tried to build perl-5.8 from pkgsrc, but the DC either
> stopped and was unresponsive or it rebooted w/o notice.
>
> It seems the DC port is quite broken currently, can I do something
> to help getting it fixed?

Ahh. My Dreamcast has been doing Metropolis Street Racer duty for
many, many months now so I haven't run NetBSD on it in a while. Ever
played that? You might not worry so much about running NetBSD either
if you did... Har. It's a long, difficult game.

There were problems with spontaneous reboots there for a while. The #1
thing you can do is explicitly set the media type of the network
interface to 10baseT if you are using the BBA (I am, and this mostly
worked).

After that, I don't know. Time for someone to write an sh3 emulator?
That would be nice for debugging...

I may drag it back onto the network sometime during the winter here to
see what mine does.

Andy